Conventional Solar collectors/ tubes
Conventional solar geysers as found in the market today use either a flat plate collector or an evacuated tube collector that absorbs radiated heat emitted from the sun to heat fluid or water contained within the collector. As the water is heated by solar irradiation, the heated water is circulated via a copper piping infrastructure to heat the geyser contents. The circulation of the heated water is achieved either by use of an electric water pump or by the process of natural thermosiphon.
These conventional systems therefore have a couple of drawbacks inherent in the design of these systems:
- Conventional solar systems require a piping infrastructure through which it has to circulate the heated water. The longer the pipe run, the less efficient the system and the higher the installation cost. The additional piping often requires structural changes as new pipes have to be installed from the point where the collector is ideal to where the geyser is currently located.
- Conventional solar systems often come with only a 5 year guarantee, which leaves little room for any real benefit beyond the return on its initial investment.
- These systems are fixed and once they have been installed, cannot easily be upgraded, adjusted or moved. They are also fixed in application and hence can only heat water as its sole functional purpose.
- Although the are effective in heating water, they are not the most aesthetically pleasing solution and often appear bulky and intrusive. tremendous costs.
Conventional water heating systems
Photo-voltaic solar panels
Photovoltaic (PV) panels generate electricity from solar energy in contrast to conventional solar collectors that directly heat water through heat exchange. In conventional PV applications, the energy generated by the PV array will be stored in batteries for later use or fed back into the grid where regulation allows. These systems often requires chargers, inverters, regulators, MPPT’s and other electronic components to convert the DC current generated by the PV to usable AC current as found in our homes. The required equipment for such applications therefore add significant capital costs before the electricity becomes usable.
Energi Mart envisions an entirely different application for PV where we use our PATENTED AC/DC solution in combination with PV solar panels to directly heat the water by simply connecting a DC wire running from the panels to the proprietary DC element. This eliminates pipe runs and additional piping as per convention to be replaced only by an electric wire, enabling the geyser to be located separately from the actual energy source. As opposed to the conventional system that can only heat water, the PV panels can later be utilized for powering lights or other appliances and may be incorporated with batteries etc. over time to transition into a renewable energy system.
It “boils” down to this:
- Solar collectors and tubes systems heat water with radiation and is limited to that function and the initial capacity with a 5 year guarantee.
- PV panels generate electricity for multiple uses and can be easily upgraded to larger capacities with double the guarantee and a 25 year output guarantee.
Energi Mart AC/DC System
Energi Mart manufactures and supplies the AC/DC element kit that can be retrofit to any existing or new geyser installation. Just add solar according to our installation guide and you are ready to start using PV to power your life.
1 x AC/DC element combo
1 x AC thermostat
1 x DC thermostat
1 x DB timer
1 x Flange & Rubber (flanged type geysers)
- REAL micro renewable solution for direct usage
- Structural changes limited to only PV panels installed on the roof.
- Aesthetically more pleasing than current solutions.
- Much more affordable solution.
- Can be retrofitted to existing water cylinders.
- Can be installed with NEW water cylinders.
- Transport of electrons through wire and NOT hot water through pipes.
- Flexible solution that can be scaled by adding more panels over time.
- Electricity generated can be used for other purposes if so required.
- First step towards smart energy system for future use.